Eroticism (from the Greek ἔρως, eros—”desire”) is a quality that causes sexual feelings, as well as a philosophical contemplation concerning the aesthetics of sexual desire, sensuality and romantic love. That quality may be found in any form of art, including painting, sculpture, photography, drama, film, music or literature. It may also be found in advertising. The term may also refer to a state of sexual arousal or anticipation of such – an insistent sexual impulse, desire, or pattern of thoughts.
As French novelist Honoré de Balzac stated, eroticism is dependent not just upon an individual’s sexual morality, but also the culture and time in which an individual resides.
I have been asked by Eric Jones and WRN radio show to discuss what is considered erotic for Wednesday’s show. I began to think about events in my life, visual experiences and art forms. Eroticism varies on personality, upbringing and sensibilities.
Subtleties rather than in-your-face pornography is my personal preference. But that is just the point. Each person may find different things erotic. Anticipation is a large part of eroticism. Waiting for what is to come, creates excitement.
- Slipping naked into silk or satin sheets.
- Showering with your lover and having them buff you with their body.
- A beautiful feather stroking you from head to toe, slowly.
- Having your lover whisper in your ear in the morning what they want to do to you when they come home. Thinking about that whisper and their breath on your ear, all day long. Extremely erotic.
- Having your lover wash your hair.
- Having your lover paint your toenails. Without expecting anything in return.
- Having your lover give you a long, slow all-over body massage with oil.
- Laying on a beautiful tropical island with your lover next to you and thinking about what you want to do to them while the sun beats down on your half-naked body.
- Sipping a cool drink lazily on this beautiful island in the shade, while your lover runs his hand slowly up your calf and stops at the knee, looking you in the eyes with a “I want to make love to you NOW!” look.
- Having your lover make love to you all day – without touching you, through texts, phone calls, loving glances and wonderful anticipation.
- A lingering kiss on the mouth, a longing look, and a sensual touch along your lower back, almost grazing your ass……. the key here is subtlety guys. Right before you leave to go to work. This will keep us thinking about you all day long, wondering what will happen the next time we are together. Rather than the in your face “Give it to me because I am horny!” Such a turn off. Slow kissing, can be extremely erotic. Some people can orgasm through kissing alone.
- When you make it all about us, rather than you.
- When you give more than you receive.
- You taking the time to draw a bath, light the candles, with a glass of Perrier, with no expectations of anything more.
- Having your lover drip honey onto your naked body and then slowly lick it off.
- Sexy talk whispered into your ear while making love. Each person’s acceptable vocabulary is different. Check with your partner first, before using foul language.
- Reading erotica together can be extremely exciting. My personal favorite is Lady Chatterly’s Lover. Published in 1928 by DH Lawrence.