Testosterone levels in American men are at an all time low. Symptoms of low testosterone are low energy, a decrease in stamina, hair loss and difficulty losing weight. Low “T” is common in men as they age, but is happening early in the last ten years. What many men are unaware of is that high levels of estrogen are usually found when men have “LOW T.”
Having strong erections allows a man to feel virile, youthful and maintain a sexually active life well into his golden years. Testosterone is the hormone that causes facial hair, voice to deepen and develop genitalia.
Estrogen is the hormone that causes women to grow breasts, menstruate and have feminine qualities.
High estrogen levels in men comes from high aromatase activity. Aromatase is the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen. Aromatase is highly concentrated in that fat bulge around your middle. Aromatase activity increases due to age, stress, weight gain, and inflammation. Chronic high levels of estrogen have been linked to cancer, Type II Diabetes, obesity, hypertension and cardiovascular health.
Block Estrogen With These Foods
A high plant-based diet can reduce estrogen levels in the body. Plants are loaded with phytochemicals which work to block estrogen in the body.
1. Cruciferous Vegetables. A diet rich in cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, rutabaga, turnips, bok choy, kale, and Brussel sprouts will block estrogen from being formed. These vegetables can be cooked some different ways, including roasted, steamed, sauteed or baked. I love to eat all of these vegetables raw for greater nutrient value.
2. Mushrooms. Shitake, Reishi, button, crimini are all mushrooms that can be eaten raw in salads or sauteed with your rice. Mushrooms block estrogen production and are also a way to boost your immune system. The Chinese have been using mushrooms to heal the body for thousands of years. Cordyceps, Shitake, Turkey Tail and Himematsutake are a blend of powerful mushrooms that increase in value when taken together. There are mushroom compounds in your nutritional supplement store.
3. Green Tea. Green tea has a multitude of benefits from helping you reduce weight, prevent (breast, lung, esophageal, skin, colon and bladder, cancer. Green tea is loaded with catechins more powerful than vitamins, phytochemicals, and antioxidants at the same time. Harvard Health Publications touts the additional benefits of green tea to assist with Rheumatoid Arthritis, reduce bad cholesterol, (LDL) while increasing the good kind (HDL), reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease, by improving arterial function.
Green tea is refreshing hot or cold. Instead of adding sugar if you must use raw local honey.
4. Seeds. Flax and sesame seeds contain polyphenols that reduce estrogen in the bloodstream. Flax seeds contain the highest levels of polyphenols and linolenic acid an essential fatty acid, according to Oregon State University. Polyphenols are found in plants. Sunflower seeds are another source of polyphenols.
5. Whole Grains. Whole grains contain the endosperm, bran, and germ which are necessary for a healthy diet. Whole grains aren’t broken down like white bread. If you are still eating white bread, rolls or donuts, stop right now. White grains are unhealthy for so many reasons. Sources of whole grains are:
6. Red Grapes. Red grapes are excellent for the blood, and blocking estrogen. Red grapes contain two chemicals that are loaded with health benefits, reservatrol, and proanthocyanidin.
7. Pomegranates. Pomegranates are high in phytochemicals. Deep rich, red juice and seeds block estrogen, purify the blood and strengthen the cardiovascular system.
8. Talk To Your Doctor. Men hesitate to see a medical professional often waiting till their testosterone is dangerously low. Get your blood checked regularly for hormone levels and ask about alternative methods rather than a testosterone shot for the quick fix and potentially dangerous side-effects.
E-mail Jennifer for a private discovery session to find out if her work is a good fit for you. Jennifer works with women to build confidence, healthy boundaries, self-esteem and step into their innate power.
Find Jennifer’s books on Amazon. Jennifer is both a healer and a love and passion coach. She empowers women to be the strong, powerful confident women they truly are, helping them find joy and love within so that life becomes a moving meditation filled with bliss, fun and happiness.