As 2021 draws to a close, you may be like many thinking, “Don’t let the door hit you on the behind 2021!” With new variants arising and no end in sight, a media frenzy that attempts to insight fear in the most grounded of individuals. 2022 marks a new beginning, the opportunity to begin again, wipe the slate clean and a time to set new goals.
For over 20 years, on New Year’s Eve, my family and I have held a Burning Bowl Ritual or Ceremony. We first began to do this ceremony at Unity church long ago. The burning bowl ceremony releases energy that no longer serves you. It frees you up to allow more good into your life. It could be a pattern, emotion, PTSD, trauma, belief or thought that no longer serves you, like an addiction or unhealthy habit. We have let go of personal issues, relationships that don’t serve us, habits, addictions, and attachments.
First, we want to think about what we want to discard and disolve. You can set an intention for all the negative beliefs that don’t serve you to be eliiminated. Or you might want to meditate on this subject for a little bit, asking what will serve your highest good the most?
What I do know is that 2021 was better in so many ways than 2020 and 2019. I became a grandmother this year which opened my heart to full flowering. The joy and love I have for this little baby is monumental. I see and feel pure love when holding Emmett. It is a beautiful thing to witness the purity of his heart and energy field. I have grown just by experiencing this beautiful soul fresh from God! Babies have no programming. They are grown-up souls in a baby’s body. His smile lights up my world and everyone that meets him. My gratitude is expressed daily for you and all of my community. You are in my prayers every day. I care deeply about you.
You can speak a prayer out loud to easily and effortlessly release all that no longer serves you.
Once your prayer is complete, you can light the corner of your list carefully on fire. When everyone’s list is burned and we have danced and cheered. Whatever we feel celebrates the release with joy. Our second list is put away. We do not burn this list, but instead put it aside in a safe place, on our altar or in a sacred box on a mantle. Our family has enjoyed this ceremony. Letting go is part of life. Making it sacred feels good. I created this four-minute video to walk you through the entire process. I hope you enjoy it.
Ceremonial work is a way to make something more sacred. Traditions and ceremonies help to mark the passing of time. Traditions give our families something to remember and incorporate into their families if they wish. Your children will remember what you have taught them. Ceremonies can help us feel a sense of community and togetherness. They connect us giving us powerful positive memories. Rituals tie us together and can be passed down to the younger generations. After we are gone it is a beautiful thing to have a ritual remembered by our families and friends.
How To Perform The Burning Bowl Ceremony
- Sit quietly and reflect on what you would like to release, or what you would like to be different in the coming year.
- When you feel ready, on a piece of paper write what you want to eliminate or let go of. i.e. (I release the following with joy: debt, chaos, drama, abuse, pain, suffering, illness, imbalance, sorrow, sadness, depression, financial issues, debt, and doubt.)
- On the second piece of paper, or in your journal write what you want to bring into your life for the coming year. It could be the energy of (love, happiness, fun, play, joy, money) something you already have, but want more of. Whatever you want to draw to you, write it down. Fold this piece of paper up and keep it in a safe or sacred place, perhaps in a box or on your altar. Or write and date the page in your journal with your “Attraction” list.
- When everyone is complete with their lists hold the first list that you want to let go of in your hands and say a prayer over it. The prayer is something simple, to recognize that what we are letting go of does not serve us and we are making room for better to flow into our lives.
- Light your list on fire. Silently drop into the bowl. Envision the smoke being taken up into the ethers and heaven. See the power of the universe and God taking care of the rest, taking care of the heavy lifting. Exhale knowing it is on it’s way. GONE! Let it all go.
- Then say, “Thank you. Amen.”
- We begin to welcome the new energy of what we do desire in our lives. Put energy into your list of your desires. Focus, meditate on this list and then put it away in your journal or on your altar.
- letting go of lies
- anyone who has ever hurt you
- broken agreements or promises